A chocolate cake that’s easy to bake and sensational to eat.
German people are well known for their love of desserts and pastries. For them Christmas would not be perfect without one of their all-time favorite desserts on the table. But don’t save this one for just once a year, it’s too good.
Try the recipe. It’s known by many as German Sweet Chocolate Cake. This delicious dessert/cake is loved by both locals and guests and I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we do.
1. Preheat oven to 350°f (175° c) and prepare one large 9 x 13″ baking pan or 2 small cake pans. Line the bottom and sides of pans with baking paper.
2. Bring water to boil. Add the chocolate, let it melt and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar with mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Separate egg whites from yolks, keeping the whites aside for later in recipe
5. Gradually add egg yolks to creamed butter and sugar, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate and vanilla. Set aside.
6. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda.
7. Add the dry ingredients, and buttermilk alternately to batter. Beat thoroughly after each addition.
8. In a separate bowl using clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form (as they do when making meringue)
9. Gently fold beaten egg whites into the mixture.
10. Gently pour the mixture into prepared pans.
Average time of baking is 30 to 35 minutes at 350° f. To test if cake is cooked, insert a toothpick, gently into cake center. The cake is cooked if it comes out clean.
11. Cool on a wire rack
While cake cools, prepare frosting.
Here’s an instruction on how you can create a home-made frosting.
Ingredients for home-made frosting:
1.Combine eggs, milk, sugar and butter in a saucepan.
2. Cook over a medium heat for about 12 minutes. Stir the mixture while cooking or until it thickens and goes golden brown.
4. Remove the mixture from the heat.
5. Stir in coconut, vanilla and chopped pecans. Mix thoroughly. Frosting will thicken as it cools to room temperature.
Spread frosting over cooled cake. Firstly ice the cake with thin layers of frosting. Make sure the sides are smooth and the top is even. Add extra pecans on top to decorate.
For added styling on the presentation plate, consider decorating with edible flowers, or in-season fruits like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or kiwi fruit. They complement the sweetness perfectly, look wonderful, and berries always combine beautifully with a chocolate cake. Enjoy!